Model: AQ-4600 & AQ-4601 Under Counter Water Filter System
Available At: Aquasana.com – 20% off plus free shipping
Type of Filtration: Multi-stage filtration method which uses a combination of mechanical filtration, absorption and ion-exchange – also known as carbon filtration, ion exchange and sub micron filtration. These are some of the most effective technologies available for filtering water.
Good For: Small quantities of water such as drinking water and cooking water – provides up to 30 gallons of clean water per hour!
Pros: Very effective advanced filtration technology that filters out 99.9% of MTBE and cysts (chlorine-resistant parasites) as well as chlorine, lead, prescription drugs, VOC‘s and more, affordable, lifetime warranty (with their water for life program), very easy to set-up, produces up to 30 gallons of clean water per hour, attractive sturdy faucet, sleek cartridge is ideal size as to not be in the way, made in the USA, free shipping anywhere in North America
Cons: Filters need to be replaced every 6 months (however this is quite typical), although the cartridge is a nice size you will still lose some of your under counter storage space
Warranty: 1 Year Warranty OR Extended lifetime warranty available with their ‘Water for Life’ filter replacement program – see below for more information. Also includes awesome 90 day money back guarantee.
Removes or Reduces: 52 contaminants without removing the natural trace minerals that are important to our health. The AQ-4600 & AQ-4601 removes:
- Organic chemical compounds such as Benzene, Chloropicin, Dichloroethane, EDB, Ethybenzene, Styrene, Toluene, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s) & Xylenes.
- Pharmaceuticals such as Lindane
- Disinfectants & By-Products such as Carbon Tetrachloride, Chlorine, THM (chloroform), Dichloropropane, trihalomethanes(THMs)/TTHMs, Halocetonitriles, Haloketones, Hexachloro-butadiene, Terachloro-ethylene, & Tetrachloro-ethylene, Tribromoacetic acid.
- Microscopic Organisms such as Cysts (Crystosporidium & Giardia)
- Bad tastes and Odours
- Industrial Solvents such as MTBE
- Herbacides and Pesticides such as 2,4,5-TP (Silvex), 2,4 D, Alachlor, Asbestos, Atrazine, Carbofuran, Chlorobenzene, DBCP, Dichloropropylene, Dinoseb, Endrin, Heptachlor, Heptachlor Epoxide, Hexachlorocyclopentadine, Methoxychlor, O&P Dichlorobenzene, Pentachlorophenol & Simazine.
- Gasoline Addicities
Included: Filter housing, choice of chrome, brushed nickel, chrome or oil rubbed bronze faucet diverter, twin filter cartridge set (lasts 6 months / filters 500 gallons), easy to follow instructions (written and video).
More about the Aquasana Under Counter Water Filter
I have used a couple different water filters over the years, some good, some not so good (as I learned later). When I began to do some mega research on the subject I realized that the information out there was totally confusing.
After literally months of reading and figuring it all out, the Aquasana under counter water filter definitely stood out from many of the others on the market. The first thing that caught my eye was that Aquasana is the #1 rated home water filtration system in America and their drinking water filters have been voted by consumer digest as ‘best buy‘ 6 years in a row. Their popularity as well as their good pricing piqued my interest and my research continued from there.
Aquasana has many different water filters to choose from but the under counter water filter was what I was looking for… a convenient and affordable filtration system to clean my drinking and cooking water. The Aquasana under counter water filter met my needs.
Options for the Aquasana Under Counter Water Filter
This under counter water filter has two options to choose from… the AQ-4600 and the AQ-4601. The only difference between the two models is that the AQ-4601 comes with a higher quality faucet with more choice in color.
AQ-4600 & AQ-4601 Cartridge Functions
There are two cartridges for the Aquasana under counter water filter and they both have different functions.
- Cartridge A: Reduces sediment and turbidity first, tiny microscopic particles that can cause cloudiness and unpleasant tastes and odors in water.
This stage also reduces chlorine, the most concentrated and competitive chemical in tap water. This allows the following stages in cartridge ‘B’ to focus on the more difficult contaminants like lead and synthetic chemicals.
- Cartridge B: This is where the final stages of filtration take place. Lead is reduced by a complex ion exchange process that replaces harmful lead ions with healthful potassium ions.
This is the most effective method of lead reduction ever developed and enhances the natural mineral balance of water. Potassium is one of the trace minerals that gives water a natural spring water taste and a neutral or alkaline pH.
Next comes the most important stage…
The process that comes next is the most challenging and possibly the most important stage. This is when the absorption of synthetic chemicals like herbicides, pesticides and industrial solvents take place.
The “B”cartridge is a 0.5 micron absolute filter that is effective for the reduction of chlorine resistant organisms and cysts like Cryptosporidium and Giardia, two common water borne parasites that cause flu like symptoms for most, but can be fatal to small children and the elderly.
One of the great things about this water filter is that even with the complex filtration method you still get a maximum flow rate of 0.4 gallons per minute which basically means that you are not going to run out of clean water.
It is important to consider the replacement filters when choosing an under sink water filtration system. From the research I have done it is fairly typical that filters will need to be replaced every 6 months to a year.
Aquasana states that their under sink water filters should be replaced every 6 months or every 500 gallons so it will depend on how much water is used in your household for drinking and cooking.
The Water for Life Program
Aquasana has a free program that you can sign up for when you purchase one of their water filtration systems. It is called ‘Water for Life’ and it will automatically ship your water filters to you when you need them and give you a discounted price.
With this program the replacement filters cost less than $50 and ship for free to your home. Being a member of this program also ensures that your water filter system is under a warranty for life. It is a great program and an awesome deal.
The AQ-4600 and the AQ-4601 comes with written instructions as well as video instructions. The instructions can also be downloaded on the Aquasana website.
Installation can easily be done yourself and the instructions explain exactly how to do it. Read the instructions carefully before you begin. Once your filter and faucet are in place you should run your Aquasana faucet for 10 minutes for its first use after installation.
Below are the exact specifications of the Aquasana under sink water filter.
- Dimensions: 12” x 7” x 4”
- Weight: 4 lbs.
- Max flow rate: 0.4 gallons per minute
- Capacity of filter cartridge: 500 gallons
- Min operating pressure: 20 psi (pounds per sq. in.)
- Max operating pressure: 80 psi (pounds per sq. in.)
- Min operating temperature: 40 degrees F
- Max operating temperature: 90 degrees F
Final Thoughts on the Aquasana Drinking Water Filtration System
There are a few things that really appeal to me about the AQ-4600 & AQ-4601.
1. For one it is made in the USA which in my opinion counts for a lot.
2. For another Aquasana uses the most advanced filtration methods and their system has been independently tested and certified by Underwriters laboratories and the California Department of Public Health.
3. Also Aquasana has some of the lowest prices on the market and they always have free shipping (anywhere in North America). From the research I have done I think they offer a lot for the money and I am confident that their water filters are doing the job they are supposed to which is providing you with clean, fresh, good tasting and healthy water for under 10 cents a gallon on the Water for Life program.
There are other good water filters on the market, some that might even cost a slight bit less, but the bottom line is that the Aquasana Under Sink water filter is thorough, is affordable, provides excellent quality water, and in the end is the filtration system I choose for myself.
The Aquasana under sink water filtration system can be purchased at:
- Aquasana.com – Under Counter Water Filter – get 20% off plus free shipping when purchased through this link